BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Verizon Wireless, the leading wireless company with the most reliable voice and data network, announced today a new way for soccer fans to join in the fun with the Alianza de Futbol Hispano 2007 Tournament, a soccer program dedicated to the development and support of Hispanic amateur soccer. Verizon Wireless is the title sponsor of all local tournaments in Alianza's national tournament series, as well as the title sponsor for the tournament's national championship event, the Verizon Wireless Copa Alianza IV. At each local qualifying tournament, the company will also run a Verizon Wireless Youth Clinic that will be hosted by a professional soccer star.
The Alianza de Futbol Hispano 2007 Tournament series will be played in ten cities in 2007, culminating with the national finals in December where the top two amateur Alianza de Futbol Hispano 2007 Tournament champions will join two professional teams from Mexico in a four team tournament. The top finishing U.S. team will be crowned as the "Best Hispanic Amateur Team" in the country. More than $90,000 in prizes will be awarded throughout the tournament.
The Verizon Wireless Youth Clinics, three hour clinics open to boys and girls, ages 5-16, will be held on the final Sunday at each Copa local qualifying tournament and hosted by a professional soccer star; an additional six Verizon Wireless Youth Clinics will be held in other cities across the country. At each clinic, participants will practice soccer drills and learn from the professional player and coaches. Clinic participants receive a soccer jersey, water bottle and cinch pack, a certificate of participation signed by the professional soccer player. Registration for each clinic is required; customers will be able to sign up at pre-designated Verizon Wireless locations in each market one week prior to the clinic. Exact registration store locations are available at www.alianzadefutbol.com.
Verizon Wireless Youth Soccer Clinic Registration Schedule
- New York Clinic Registration June 2-3
- Boston Clinic Registration June 23-24
- Chicago Clinic Registration June 30 & July 1
- Milwaukee Clinic Registration July 7-8
- Grand Rapids Clinic Registration July 14-15
- Los Angeles Clinic Registration July 21-22
- San Antonio Clinic Registration July 28-29
- San Francisco Clinic Registration August 2 & 5
- El Paso Clinic Registration August 18-19
- Kansas City Clinic Registration September 1-2
- Dallas Clinic Registration September 8-9
- Philadelphia Clinic Registration September 15-16
- Houston Clinic Registration September 22-23
- Phoenix Clinic Registration October 6-7
- Washington, D.C. Clinic Registration October 20-21
- Miami Clinic Registration November 3-4
Verizon Wireless Copa Alianza Tournament Schedule
- New York June 9-10*, 16-17
- Chicago June 30, July 1, 7-8*
- Los Angeles July 21, 28-29*
- San Francisco August 4-5, 11-12*
- El Paso August 18-19, 25-26*
- Dallas September 8-9, 15-16*
- Houston September 22-23, 29-30*
- Phoenix October 6-7, 13-14*
- Washington, D.C. October 20-21, 27-28*
- Miami November 3-4, 10-11*
- East Regional Tournament in Miami November 2007
- West Regional Tournament in Dallas November 2007
- Verizon Wireless Copa Alianza IV National Finals in Los Angeles December 2007
*Denotes date of Verizon Wireless Youth Clinic
Additional Verizon Wireless Youth Clinics
- Boston July 1
- Milwaukee July 15
- Grand Rapids July 21
- San Antonio August 5
- Kansas City September 9
- Philadelphia September 22
Dates subject to change; check www.alianzadefutbol.com for locations and more information
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 60.7 million customers. The largest US wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 66,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About La Alianza de Fútbol Hispano
Founded in 2004, La Alianza de Fútbol Hispano is the leading, national organization dedicated to the support and development of amateur, Hispanic soccer in the United States. Through its sponsored local, regional and national tournaments, the organization brings together and showcases the talents of Hispanic amateur players nationwide. Alianza and its corporate partners reach out to a growing community of more than 300,000 Latino soccer players and their families. The 2006 edition of the Alianza tournament had a total attendance of more than 110,000 and ultimately crowned Alta Vista of El Paso as the "Best Hispanic Amateur Team in the United States." For more information, visit www.alianzadefutbol.com.