WILMINGTON, MA — Verizon Wireless said today it has further expanded its wireless broadband service to nearly 60 additional Vermont communities across 14 counties. The year-end cell site enhancements and activations also expanded voice service into 10 more towns, within Bennington and Windham Counties. Now more Verizon Wireless customers and visitors in Vermont can access e-mail and the Internet on their laptops and PDAs, make calls, and download video and music to their wireless phones.
Verizon Wireless has infused $55 million into its Vermont network over the last four years, constructing nearly three dozen new sites in 2007 alone. The company's 3G broadband network, already serving Burlington, Vt.-area customers for the last year, was recently activated in the following communities:
- Addison County: Ferrisburg, Middlebury, Monkton, New Haven Junction, and Starksboro
- Bennington County: Arlington*, Bennington*, Dorset*, Manchester*, Pownal*, Shaftsbury*, and Sunderland
- Caledonia County: Barnet, Burke Mountain, Lyndon, Ryegate, St. Johnsbury, and Wheelock
- Chittenden County: Bolton, Charlotte and Milton
- Franklin County: Georgia, Highgate and St. Albans
- Grand Isle County: Alburg
- Lamoille County: Hyde Park and Stowe
- Orange County: Brookfield, Ely, Fairlee, Newbury, and Thetford
- Orleans County: Coventry, Derby, Jay Peak, and Newport
- Orwell County: Orwell
- Rutland County: Brandon, Castleton, Danby, Mt. Tabor, Pico Peak, Rutland, and Wallingford
- Washington County: Barre, Berlin, East Hill, Montpelier, and Waterbury
- Windham County: Brattleboro* and West Dover/Mt. Snow*
- Windsor County: Hartford, Norwich, Royalton, Sharon, Springfield, White River, and Windsor-Ascutney
* Indicates activation of both voice and high-speed data coverage
The recent addition of several cell sites also brings new coverage to portions of:
- Route 7 between Dorset and Pownal
- Interstate 91 around the Town of Brattleboro, and from White River Junction to Windsor
- Burke Mountain, Jay Peak, Pico Peak, and Mount Snow ski resorts
"No carrier has invested more into its national network than Verizon Wireless," said Richard Enright, director of network performance for Verizon Wireless. "These latest activations enable even more Vermont residents and visitors to access the nation's most reliable wireless voice and broadband networks."
Verizon Wireless' high-speed wireless service, which powers its BroadbandAccess Internet and V CAST multimedia applications, is based on the company's Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) Revision A network technology.
The company's flagship data service, BroadbandAccess, provides average download speeds of 600 kilobits per second (kbps) to 1.4 megabits and average upload speeds of 500-800 kbps, which means customers can download a 1 Megabyte e-mail attachment the equivalent of a small PowerPoint® presentation or a large PDF file in about eight seconds and upload the same-sized file in less than 13 seconds. Verizon Wireless' BroadbandAccess service allows customers to download files approximately 10 times faster than customers of other wireless service providers that use different broadly deployed network technologies.
V CAST: Video and Music
The company's high-speed network also enables its V CAST multimedia services, offering customers the ability to download full-song tracks, play cutting-edge 3D games and stream video clips straight to their phones. With content updated daily, customers can watch dozens of on demand videos, including breaking news, weather, sports highlights, and the hottest entertainment clips.
With V CAST Music, Verizon Wireless has built a massive full-song mobile music store that contains more than 2.5 million songs from well-known and independent artists that customers can download over-the-air, right onto their V CAST Music-enabled phones.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 63.7 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 68,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.