HONOLULU, HI — Hawaii residents and visitors are making more calls and wireless data transmissions thanks to the company's $17 million plus network investment in 2007. That's an average of more than $46,000 per day spent to provide customers in the state with reliable, high-quality wireless service.
Verizon Wireless' ongoing network investment now totals more than $157 million in Hawaii over the past seven years. The company has invested more than $44 billion since the company was formed on average $5.5 billion each year.
The investment includes adding new and updating cell sites to improve call quality and enable more customers to make more calls. The multi-million dollar investment also includes the expansion of the company's Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) Rev. A broadband wireless data network throughout the state.
More specifically the network investments made last year in Hawaii are delivering:
More coverage and capacity
- Network expansion: Capacity additions to stay ahead of growth in the number voice and data calls happening at the same time.
- Year-over-year growth in voice usage in 2007 topped 13 percent.
- Wireless data traffic, such as text messaging, e-mail and V CAST Music, increased 26 percent from 2006.
Most reliable wireless network in the nation
- Testing: Verizon Wireless' network technicians (who serve as the inspiration for the famous "It's the Network" ad campaign) traveled approximately 60,000 miles across the state this year the equivalent of going around the world more than twice. Technicians measure the quality of voice and data calls on the Verizon Wireless network, as well as other carriers' networks.
- Emergency assistance: Deployed three Cell on Wheels/Cell on Light Truck mobile cell sites to provide wireless communications for community events as well as weather related emergencies.
- Emergency preparedness: Added additional equipment to provide backup power in the event of a commercial power failure.
New wireless technologies and devices
- Broadband speeds: Customers in Hawaii can now access high-speed wireless Internet, e-mail, mobile music, and more. The high-speed data network enables both BroadbandAccess and V CAST services.
- Devices: The network expansion supported the introductions of many new wireless devices giving customers a comprehensive selection of music, multimedia, e-mail and voice services. In the fourth quarter the company introduced four iconic devices for holiday shoppers: the Verizon Wireless Juke by Samsung; the Venus by LG and the Voyager by LG, exclusive to Verizon Wireless; and the BlackBerry® Pearl 8130 smartphone.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 65.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.