ALBANY, NY — In a continuing effort to provide the best wireless service for local residents in the Capital Region, Verizon Wireless has expanded its network with nine new cell sites in Albany, Cohoes, East Greenbush, Glens Falls, Glenville, Guilderland, Rotterdam, and Troy.
- The new Albany cell site improves coverage and capacity along Interstate 787 from Exits 3B to 4A, the Empire State Plaza Extension on Interstate 787, and South Pearl Street from State Street to First Avenue.
- The new site in Cohoes improves coverage and capacity along Route 9 from Boght Road to Route 159, Manor Avenue from Boght Road to North Mohawk Street, and Baker Avenue from Columbia Street to Boght Road.
- The new site in East Greenbush improves coverage and capacity on the Columbia Turnpike from Miller Road to Philips Road, and Route 4 from Columbia Turnpike to Luther Road.
- The new site in Glens Falls improves coverage and capacity in the City of Glens Falls, the Village of South Glens Falls, the Town of Queensbury, and along New York State Route 9 between South Glens Falls and Queensbury.
- The new Glenville site improves coverage and capacity on Saratoga Road from Lake Hill Road to Freemans Bridge Road, Glenridge Road from Saratoga Road to Route 146, and Route 147 from Ridge Road to Dawson Road.
- The new site in Guilderland improves coverage and capacity along Interstate 90 at Exit 25, Carman Road from Lydius Street to Route 20, and Route 20 from Route 158 to Route 146.
- A new site in Rotterdam improves coverage and capacity along Interstate 88 from the Thruway ramp to Exit 24, Interstate 90 from Exit 25 to 26 and Route 7, and from Van Patten Road to Route 158.
- The second new Rotterdam site improves coverage and capacity along the New York State Thruway from Exit 25 to 25A, Route 158 from Route 20 to Route 7, and Route 7 from Dunnsville Road to Helderberg Avenue.
- The new site in Troy improves coverage and capacity along Route 4 from Brookwood Road to Route 7, and along Route 40 from Irish Road to Route 7.
These network expansions are part of the company's aggressive multi-billion dollar network investment each year to stay ahead of the growing demand for Verizon Wireless voice and data services. Verizon Wireless has invested more than $44 billion since it was formed -- more than $5.5 billion on average every year -- to increase coverage and capacity of its national network and to add new services.
Services include wireless data services such as picture messaging, text messaging, V CAST and V CAST Music, ESPN MVP, and BroadbandAccess, the company's high-speed wireless broadband network geared toward mobile professionals and business customers. It provides average download speeds of 600 kilobits per second (kbps) to 1.4 megabits per second, and average upload speeds of 500-800 kbps.
Strong demand for Verizon Wireless services continued during the fourth quarter of 2007. Verizon Wireless is the leader in wireless customer loyalty, posting a retail customer turnover rate of 1.2% in the fourth quarter, below the rate reported by the other major wireless carriers.
The company's "nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network" reputation is based on network studies performed by real-life test men and test women throughout the country. These engineers drive nearly 91 specially equipped vehicles over 1,000,000 miles annually on Interstate, U.S. and state highways, as well as major roads and surface streets. Test vehicles are equipped with computers that automatically make more than 3 million voice call attempts and more than 16 million data tests annually on Verizon Wireless' network and the networks of other carriers.
Verizon Wireless' 30-day Test Drive lets customers experience its network virtually risk-free for 30 days. If customers are not satisfied with their experience and take their number to another carrier, Verizon Wireless will refund their money for calls, equipment, activation fee, and taxes.
For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
If you are interested in setting up an interview or ride-along test drive with your local Verizon Wireless test man or woman, please contact John O'Malley at 585-321-7264.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 65.7 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.