SOUTH BEND, IN — As the summer travel season begins, Verizon Wireless reminds Indiana customers who choose to talk on a wireless phone while driving to do so responsibly and safely.
Wireless Safety Week is June 2-9-just as students finish up their semester and families venture out for summer vacation. With more than 208 million cell phone users in the U.S. today, Verizon Wireless encourages Hoosiers to be vigilant during Wireless Safety Week and beyond to reduce the number of cell phone-related accidents.
To use a wireless phone responsibly, remember the following tips:
- When behind the wheel, safe and responsible driving is always your first priority.
- Using a wireless phone while driving may increase your risk of distraction, whether or not you use a hands-free device. To eliminate this risk, turn off your phone and allow calls to go to voice mail.
- If you choose to talk and drive, always use a hands-free device. Make sure your hands-free device is on and working properly before you begin driving.
- Turn your phone to speakerphone or use a headset. Many phones have speakerphone capability. Headset models available from Verizon Wireless range from Bluetooth® devices for individual use, or car mount, to hands-free ear buds compatible with devices from many wireless providers.
- Do not manually dial or look up phone numbers when driving. Pre-program important and frequently dialed numbers and use the voice-activated and speed-dialing features of your phone.
- Never view or send text or multi-media messages or video downloads while driving. If you're taking advantage of any navigation service, including VZ Navigator(SM), program the address into your phone-either directly to the handset or online-before you leave the curb, then you'll need only to listen to the directions.
- Do not engage in complex, stressful or emotional calls while driving.
- The risk of using a wireless phone while driving may be increased during hazardous traffic or weather conditions. When driving in these conditions, consider turning your phone off and allowing calls to go to voice mail.
Verizon Wireless is committed to educating Hoosier drivers on the safe and responsible use of wireless phones while driving. For more information on hands-free options and responsible driving, customers can visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store or www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 67.2 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 69,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to: www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.