BIRMINGHAM, AL — Verizon Wireless, the company with the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, continues investment to expand and enhance its network across Alabama.
The company continued to expand its Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) third generation (3G) wide-area network Revision A (Rev. A). With the enhanced network, Alabamians have even more ubiquitous access to Verizon Wireless’ two prime services: BroadbandAccess and V CAST. With BroadbandAccess, customers can download a one Megabyte e-mail attachment – the equivalent of a small PowerPoint® presentation or a large PDF file – in about eight seconds and upload the same-sized file in less than 13 seconds. The company’s V CAST multimedia services offer customers the ability to download full song tracks, play cutting-edge 3D games and stream video clips straight to their phones.
In the third quarter of 2008, coverage was enhanced and expanded in the following Alabama cities, benefiting businesses, traveler and residents in the area:
- Alabaster – Network enhancements provide greater calling capacity in the tri-cities of Alabaster, Helena, Pelham and along I-65.
- Auburn – Network enhancements provide increased EV-DO capacity in the Auburn campus area as well as the Auburn DAS inside the stadium.
- Bessemer – Expansion of high-speed wireless broadband service (EV-DO Rev. A) now extends EV-DO capacity to the Bessemer area, UAB West and the Alabama Adventure Theme Park and shops, the resort and golf course, as well as along I-459, Hwy 150 and Regions Park.
- Boaz – Upgrades to the high speed wireless broadband (EV-DO Rev. A) service increased network capacity providing additional EV-DO capacity to the cities Boaz and Albertville along US Hwy 431.
- Cullman – Upgrades to the high speed wireless broadband (EV-DO Rev. A) service increased network capacity providing additional increased EV-DO capacity throughout the city of Cullman and a new cell site enhances calling capacity in the Catoma Lake area, Hwy 157 and the north part of the city. It also provides capacity for the rapidly growing Cullman Regional Hospital.
- Decatur – EV-DO capacity was enhanced to improve services in south Decatur along Hwy 31 and Beltline Road.
- Gadsden – Expansion of high-speed wireless broadband service (EV-DO Rev. A) provides increased broadband capacity to Fort Payne, Scottsboro, Centre and I-65 from Gadsden, AL to Tennessee.
- Gurley – Network enhancements provide greater capacity along Hwy 72 and in the town of Gurley.
- Hanceville – New cell site improves capacity and coverage to the Wallace State Community College, Hwy 31 and Hwy 91.
- Hewitt – Network enhancements will improve capacity in the City of Trussville, along Old Springville Road, as well as in and Clay.
- Homewood – Network enhancements will improve coverage along Lakeshore Drive including Samford University and Brookwood Mall, as well as the New Hope Mountain and Office Park area. Coverage along the West Shades Valley area including Oxmoor Road will also improve.
- Huntsville – New cell site at the Verizon Wireless Huntsville Call Center will add capacity in the west Huntsville area.
- Lanett – Network enhancements provide coverage to Valley and Lanett, along I-85 South from West Point to Opelika and along US 29 South.
- Leeds – Network enhancements improving capacity in the City of Leeds, I-20 and Barber’s Motor Sports Park.
- Marshall – Network enhancements provide greater capacity to the Verizon Wireless voice network along Hwy 231.
- Mulga – New cell site enhances calling capacity and improve coverage along SR 269 (Birmingham Road) and CR 45 in the communities of Mulga and Maytown in west Jefferson County.
- Opelika – Network enhancements provide greater capacity and in-building coverage of high-speed wireless broadband service (EV-DO Rev. A) in the Beauregard area as well as along state Hwy 51 south of Opelika.
- Ozark – Network capacity was enhanced for the Ozark area.
- Phenix City – New cell site improves capacity and coverage along Hwy 280 at the Russell County and Lee County border.
- Quinton – New cell site will provide improved service along AL 269 and the Jefferson - Walker County line.
- Rainbow City – EV-DO carrier will provide additional capacity to Horton Creek and the Rainbow City business district.
- Rock Creek – New cell site improves coverage along Warrior River Road and the community of Rock Creek.
Additionally, Verizon Wireless’ network coverage will improve along Acton Road and the I-65/I-459 interchange in Birmingham. Another new site located at Shady Grove Road in Adamsville will enhance coverage along SR 269 (Birmingham Road) and CR 45 in the communities of Mulga and Maytown in west Jefferson County. A third site will provide coverage to the community of New Castle and Quail Ridge Golf Course located in northern Jefferson County.
“Verizon Wireless continues our commitment everyday to make sure that all central Alabama residents receive the highest quality service available. Our network reliability is the main reason customers choose to stay with Verizon Wireless. Therefore, we are constantly working to enhance our network so that it remains the most reliable in Alabama and across the country,” said Jeff Mango, president–Alabama/Georgia Region, Verizon Wireless.
The company’s continued investment in Alabama is part of Verizon Wireless’ ongoing effort to expand coverage, improve capacity and enhance the quality of its wireless voice and data network throughout the country. To date in 2008, Verizon Wireless has invested over $75 million in the expansion and enhancement of its network in Alabama. Verizon Wireless has invested more than $45 billion – $5.5 billion on average every year – since the company was formed in 2000.
Other examples of company leadership include being first to offer Nationwide plans with unlimited calling and the only provider to offer a 30-day network Test Drive pledge that pays for calls if a customer isn’t satisfied and switches to another carrier.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 70.8 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 71,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.