INDIANAPOLIS, IN — A total of 211 wireless phones and service, valued at $63,300, were donated to the following nonprofits for use by survivors: Coburn Place Safe Haven; Family Service of Central Indiana, Inc.; Prevail, Inc.; Sheltering Wings Center for Women; and Turning Point Domestic Violence Services of Johnson County. The donation of phones and service gives the survivors a total of 633,000 minutes that can be used to communicate with family, friends, domestic violence support staff, and employers as they rebuild their lives.
Verizon Wireless and the Verizon Foundation also donated $25,000 to the Domestic Violence Network of Greater Indianapolis to increase community awareness about the issue and educate those impacted on the resources available and how to get help.
Since 2001, HopeLine’s national phone recycling and reuse program has collected more than 5.3 million wireless phones and awarded more than $5.6 million in cash grants to domestic violence agencies and organizations throughout the country. By the end of this year, the company will have donated more than 80,000 wireless phones with 240 million minutes of airtime to survivors and domestic violence organizations across the nation. During the past four years, Hoosiers have turned in 90,000 phones to Verizon Wireless’ HopeLine program.
HopeLine wireless phone donations are accepted at all Verizon Wireless Communications Stores across the nation, including the following locations in the greater Indianapolis area:
- 1950-17 E. Greyhound Pass, Village Park Plaza, Carmel
- 6633 E. 82nd St., Indianapolis
- 6020 E. 82nd St., Castleton Square Mall, Indianapolis
- 49 W. Maryland St., Circle Centre Mall, Indianapolis
- 3269 W. 86th St., College Park, Indianapolis
- 9875 W. Washington St., Cherry Tree Plaza, Indianapolis
- 8248a W. Rockville Road, Westpoint Commons, Indianapolis
- 1244 U.S. 31 North, Greenwood
- 1251 U.S. 31 North, Greenwood Park Mall, Greenwood
- 10930 Pendleton Pike, Ste. 106, Lawrence
- 313 Metropolis Mile, Ste. 105, Plainfield
- 1340 E. 86th St., Nora Plaza, Indianapolis
- 14139 Towne Center Blvd., Hamilton Town Center, Noblesville
- 4525 Lafayette Road, Centre West, Indianapolis
- In Circuit City at 5410 E. 82nd Street, Indianapolis
- In Circuit City at 8014 U.S. Highway 31, Greenwood
Verizon Wireless encourages everyone who plans to give a phone to HopeLine to make sure service on that device is discontinued and to erase any personal data on the phone. Phones given to the HopeLine program are refurbished and resold for reuse, or disposed of in an environmentally sound manner.
For more information on Verizon Wireless’ HopeLine program, visit www.verizonwireless.com/hopeline.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 70.8 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 71,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, go to www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.