WILMINGTON, MA — Verizon Wireless today announced it added 24 new 3G cell sites across seven New Hampshire counties. The company also upgraded equipment at already existing 3G cell sites throughout six of those counties – effectively doubling network coverage in those areas. These investments significantly expand Verizon Wireless’ voice and 3G high-speed wireless broadband network leadership in the Granite State. More than 100 new 3G cell sites have been activated in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts as part of Verizon Wireless’ ongoing integration of the legacy Unicel wireless network.
“The 3G network we’ve built in New Hampshire is simply unprecedented,” explains Ken Dixon, president of Verizon Wireless' New England Region. “One-hundred percent of our CDMA cell sites in New Hampshire and across New England are 3G, giving local businesses and consumers incredible speed, mobility and reliability at home, in the office and on vacation. Verizon Wireless is New England’s 3G leader; no other wireless carrier can match our network.”
Since acquiring the Unicel network in August 2008 as part of its purchase of Rural Cellular Corporation, Verizon Wireless has worked to integrate those cell sites onto its 3G network. Today, Verizon Wireless has the largest and most reliable voice and 3G data network coverage area in the United States. The company’s advanced network provides exceptional call quality and gives customers with laptops or smartphones the ability to:
- Increase productivity – faster Internet allows quicker page-loading times and the ability to share files rapidly. Mobile Broadband Internet Access lets laptop users download a one megabyte email attachment in just eight seconds and upload the same file in less than 13 seconds.
- Benefit from mobile entertainment – quickly download and play music or watch streaming video. V CAST offers customers 3D games, streaming video, breaking news, sports and entertainment clips; V CAST with Rhapsody combines Verizon Wireless’ world-class, over-the-air mobile music service with Rhapsody’s leading desktop solution. Data intensive applications, like music and streaming video, perform optimally on a 3G network.
In addition to adding the new 3G cell sites – 103 new throughout New Hampshire, Maine and Massachusetts – Verizon Wireless also made upgrades at existing cell sites across six counties in New Hampshire, rebanding the wireless signal to effectively double coverage areas. Backup batteries and power generators were also added to legacy Unicel cell sites that previously lacked emergency power. Now, more than 90% of Verizon Wireless' cell sites throughout New England have both batteries and permanent generators to maintain the company's cell sites during the loss of commercial power.
“By combining the Verizon Wireless and Unicel networks, we’ve created the most comprehensive 3G coverage of any wireless carrier in New England,” said Richard Enright, director for Network System Performance for Verizon Wireless. “We’ve invested nearly two and a half billion dollars into our New England network in the last nine years, believing that even the most sophisticated cell phone is only as good as the network it runs on.”
Verizon Wireless’ integration of the legacy Unicel network is detailed below:
|State||Number of New 3G Verizon Wireless Cell Sites as part of Unicel network integration|
In New Hampshire, Verizon Wireless’ integration of the legacy Unicel network enhanced the following areas:Belknap County
- 4 new 3G cell sites serving portions of Gilford, Laconia, Meredith
- Additional already existing 3G cell sites upgraded for better voice and 3G coverage throughout Belknap County - effectively doubling network coverage
- 10 new 3G cell sites serving portions of Bartlett, Moultonborough, North Conway, Ossipee, Wolfeboro
- 1 new 3G cell site serving portions of Keene
- Additional already existing 3G cell sites upgraded for better voice and 3G coverage throughout Cheshire County - effectively doubling network coverage
- 2 new 3G cell sites serving portions of Bretton Woods, Dixville Notch
- Additional already existing cell sites upgraded for better voice and 3G coverage throughout Coos County - effectively doubling network coverage
- 6 new 3G cell sites serving portions of Groton, Hanover, Holderness, Plymouth State University, Woodstock
- Additional already existing 3G cell sites upgraded for better voice and 3G coverage throughout Grafton County - effectively doubling network coverage
- 1 new 3G cell site serving portions of Farmington
- Additional already existing 3G cell sites upgraded for better voice and 3G coverage throughout Strafford County - effectively doubling network coverage
- Additional cell sites upgraded for better voice and 3G coverage
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable and largest wireless voice and data network, serving more than 86.6 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with more than 86,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.