BASKING RIDGE, NJ — Rdio (www.rdio.com), the unlimited, on-demand social music service from the founders of Skype™, today announced its Rdio app is now available in V CAST Apps. Verizon Wireless’ mobile applications storefront gives customers a one-click process to purchase a wide array of apps with the ease and convenience of direct billing; apps purchased are invoiced on customers’ monthly account billing statements. Verizon Wireless customers with select Android devices with V CAST Apps that run on Verizon Wireless’ 3G network can now download Rdio to enjoy a seven-day free trial of Rdio Unlimited which lets users search and play any song, artist, album and playlist from its catalogue of more than 8.5 million songs. Users can then subscribe directly using their Verizon Wireless accounts.
“When it comes to recorded music, the only thing better than Rdio is being able to enjoy Rdio on the go,” said Drew Larner, chief executive officer, Rdio. “Our new relationship with Verizon Wireless makes the Rdio social music experience available to millions of mobile subscribers and simple to pay for through direct carrier billing.”
“Along with downloading apps and surfing the Web, the ability to access and listen to music on a mobile device is one of the things we know customers want to do with their smartphones,” said Tom Villa, director, business development at Verizon Wireless. “Rdio’s social music experience and innovative app is a great addition to V CAST Apps and for our customers.”
Rdio’s app gives users a variety of key Rdio features, including:
- Access to your collection in the cloud – No need to waste precious phone memory by carrying around all your songs. Use Rdio to access all the great songs you own in our cloud-based catalogue on the go through your mobile device.
- Sync music to your mobile device – Want to access your music offline? Save as many songs, albums and playlists as your phone can hold so that you can listen to them even without a wireless connection. You can choose to download over Verizon Wireless reliable network or only when you’re connected to Wi-Fi.
- Recent Activity – Share the music you love and find out what your friends and other influencers are listening to. With our Recent Activity stream you can see what albums and songs people in your network are adding to their collections and playlists, who they are following, and the music they are reviewing.
- Top charts and heavy rotation – See and hear what songs and albums are currently popular across the entire Rdio community or just among the influencers you follow.
- Playlists – Access playlists that you have created, subscribed to and collaborated on from your mobile device.
- Seamless listening experience – With Rdio Unlimited you can access your music anywhere – on your mobile device during your commute, on your Roku or Sonos at home, on your laptop at work, or on the Web at your friend’s house. No matter where you are, Rdio remembers your listening history and what songs you have remaining in your queue. You can even stop a song playing on your home browser and continue where you left off the next time you log in, even if you’re on a different computer.
Verizon Wireless customers who download Rdio can access a seven-day free trial, after which Rdio users can elect to subscribe to Rdio Unlimited for $9.99 per month. The Rdio app is now available on select Android smartphones, in addition to the Samsung Galaxy Tab™. V CAST Apps provides direct carrier billing so customers can use a simple, one-click process to purchase apps which are then invoiced on customers’ monthly bills. Download charges vary and airtime or megabyte charges may apply when browsing, downloading and using certain applications.
V CAST Apps gives customers an ever-expanding selection of games, productivity tools, entertainment and news apps. Rdio is one of the first apps to take advantage of the subscription option available to developers.
For more information on the Rdio app, visit http://www.rdio.com. For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to www.verizonwireless.com.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
Rdio is an unlimited, on-demand social music service that brings music alive by letting subscribers listen to as many songs as they want, anytime, anywhere, and discover and share new music with friends. Rdio subscribers build and share their online music collections from a catalogue of over 8 million songs and can check out the listening activity, collections and playlists of other users and influencers as well as see what’s in heavy rotation in their network, top charts, and newly released albums. Subscribers can access their Rdio on a variety of platforms including web, Mac or PC desktop client, mobile devices such as iPhone, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Mobile 7, and in-home devices like Sonos and Roku. Rdio was founded by Janus Friis, one of the founders of Skype and is funded by Atomico, Janus Friis through his investment entities, Mangrove Capital Partners and Skype. For more information please visit www.rdio.com.