DALLAS, PA — To continue to stay ahead of rising demand for wireless voice, 3G multimedia and Internet access in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, Verizon Wireless has expanded its local network.
- New cell site provides increased wireless voice and 3G data coverage for the Dallas area north along Route 309, south along Lower Demunds Road, east along Route 309 and Lower Demunds Road and west along Route 309 and Main Street.
- Within the past year, the company activated several new cell sites that increased coverage in Luzerne County, including a site that increased coverage and capacity throughout the Plains area north along River Street to Main Street, south along River Street to Plains Township, east along North Main Street to Hilldale and west along River Street. Coverage was also improved in the Pittston area north along Route 92 to Slocum Avenue, south along Route 11 to 8th Street and South Main Street to East 8th Street, east along North Main Street to Phoenix Street, Route 11 to Center Street and throughout the borough of West Pittston and west along Schooley Avenue to West 8th Street. An additional cell site also enhanced coverage and capacity in Luzerne County along Bunker Hill Road in the village of Shavertown, as well as along Route 309 in all directions
- Expanded 3G data coverage in Dallas lets more customers using notebook computers or smartphones:
- Download and use cool apps, from mobile social networking platforms to GPS-enabled maps
- Rapidly browse the web to keep up with news, sports, stock quotes, Hollywood gossip and more
- Work on-the-go with fast file sharing
- Quickly download and play music favorites from Top 40 to Classical
- Send e-mails to friends, family and co-workers with picture and video attachments
- Download and play vivid 3D games
- Stream must-see video and customized radio stations
View from Verizon Wireless
"We've always believed even the most advanced cell phone is only as good as the network it runs on," said Mario Turco, president of Verizon Wireless’ Philadelphia Tri-State Region. "Our 3G high-speed Mobile Broadband network is the largest and most reliable in the United States, and we are the first wireless company on the globe to launch a sizeable LTE 4G footprint, covering 110 million people.”
Harnessing the Capabilities of a Robust 3G Network
Verizon Wireless’ 3G network powers many leading mobile multimedia services, including:
- Mobile Broadband Internet Access: Notebook computer users can access e-mail, download files and browse the Internet at broadband speed, downloading a one megabyte e-mail attachment – the equivalent of a small PowerPoint® presentation or a large PDF file – in about eight seconds and uploading it in less than 13 seconds.
- V CAST Video: V CAST multimedia services offer customers the ability to play cutting-edge 3D games and stream video clips straight to their phones, as well as to watch dozens of on-demand videos, including breaking news, weather, sports highlights and the hottest entertainment clips.
In addition to enhancing its 3G network, Verizon Wireless has deployed its 4G LTE Network in 74 metropolitan areas and 76 commercial airports coast to coast covering one-third of all Americans. During 2011, the company will continue to expand its 4G footprint to include more than 175 markets by year-end. Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE wireless network is the fastest and most advanced 4G network in America and offers speeds up to 10 times faster than the current 3G network.
Sustained Wireless Investment
The company has invested more than $65 billion – $6.0 billion on average every year – since its inception to increase the wireless voice and data coverage of its national network and to add new 3G services like Mobile Broadband and V CAST. As the carrier with America's largest and most reliable wireless network, Verizon Wireless cell sites in the Philadelphia Tri-State Region provide 3G wireless data connectivity. The company’s ongoing network investment in the region now totals more than $1.5 billion.
The company’s ‘
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest, most advanced 4G network and largest, most reliable 3G network. The company serves 104 million total wireless connections, including more than 88 million retail customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 85,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.