Five years ago this month, Verizon became the first wireless company in the U.S. to launch 4G LTE, the world’s most advanced wireless network. That rollout opened the flood gates for year-over-year double digit growth in mobile data consumption including video and music streaming as well as emailing, web surfing and more.
And since 2010, Verizon’s network teams have never let up and the company’s 4G LTE network now covers more than 99% of the U.S. population.
Some of the accomplishments of the network teams over the past five years include:
- Adding over 450 XLTE markets from coast to coast, using the highest quality wireless spectrum that doubles the speed, reliability and capacity in our 4G LTE markets.
- An aggressive small cell deployment, in cities such as Chicago, which densifies the network and ensures our customers can use their devices when and where they want.
- Building hundreds of Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS) in stadiums, concert venues, resorts and some of the most iconic buildings in the country such as One World Trade.
- An LTE in Rural America program which has reached over 2.7 million people in the most remote areas of the country where others wireless companies haven’t bothered to go.
- Winning hundreds of top awards for performance, speed and reliability from companies such as Root Metrics & other respected third parties.
As we close out 2015 and head into the New Year, other wireless companies can continue to blur the picture by skywriting over buildings and smashing guitars to mask their lack of coverage. Meanwhile, Verizon will continue working on launching 5G, driving innovation and taking care of what matters most to us— our customers.