All Verizon Wireless 4G Certified Devices will need a Verizon Wireless Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) Card. 4G SIM Cards are required for Verizon Wireless 4G LTE service.
What is a 4G SIM Card?
A Verizon Wireless 4G SIM Card is a small "smartcard" that is inserted into a Verizon Wireless-Certified 4G Device. The Verizon Wireless 4G SIM Card contains the 4G subscriber profile, which includes detailed information that the Verizon Wireless-Certified 4G Device needs in order to work on the Verizon Wireless network. The 4G subscriber profile includes:
- International Mobile Subscriber Identity (IMSI), which is used for billing details
- The 4G Service Feature Set, which contains details about the subscribed services and features
- Security authentication and ciphering information
- Access to passwords to lock and unlock the SIM, including the Personal Identification Number (PIN) and the Personal Unblocking Key (PUK) codes
Activating the SIM Card
Customers who order Verizon Wireless 4G LTE service online at verizonwireless.com or through Telesales will need to activate service. For step-by-step instructions, refer to our Activating Your 4G LTE Smartphone How to Use Guide.
You can initiate 4G LTE service on the Activate or Switch Device page in My Verizon. Business customers can also activate a 4G LTE device online in My Business. For step-by-step instructions, see our 4G LTE Activation How to Use Guide.
Installing the SIM Card
Once 4G LTE service is activated, the 4G SIM card must be installed into the 4G Device. Follow these steps:
- The 4G SIM card will arrive in a credit card sized SIM card package and will simply pop out of the holder.
- Align the Verizon Wireless 4G SIM Card according to the diagram on the Verizon Wireless 4G Certified Device.
- The Verizon Wireless 4G SIM Card gold contacts must face the contact pins in the SIM Card holder.
- The 4G SIM Card is activated automatically once the 4G LTE Device is powered on.
Installing a MicroSIM Card
Some 4G LTE devices use a MicroSIM card, which is smaller than a traditional SIM card. With some devices, you may need to insert the MicroSIM card in a different way than a traditional SIM card.
See this instructional video on how to install a MicroSIM Card into a Samsung Galaxy tablet.
Q: Can I use my Verizon Wireless 4G SIM card in a 4G LTE device not purchased from Verizon Wireless?
A: Yes. You may activate any 4G LTE device that has been certified by Verizon Wireless to be compatible with our 4G LTE network, including devices not purchased directly from Verizon Wireless. Simply activate your 4G SIM card on a Verizon Wireless price plan.