Release Date: August 2018
Note: The date Pie is available on your device will vary. Each manufacturer determines which devices and features they'll update and the schedule.
Key features of Pie (Android 9.0 release)
- Adaptive battery learns how you use your device and distributes battery power to the apps you use most, when you use them.
- Adaptive brightness learns how bright you like your screen in different situations and automatically adjusts throughout the day.
- Gesture navigation makes it easier to switch between apps with gestures instead of buttons. Swipe sideways on the Home button to switch between apps or swipe up to see your recently used ones.
- App actions feature learns how and when you use certain apps and predicts what you need at a certain time. For example, plug in your headphones to automatically open up a music app.
- Notification enhancements for messaging: Now, messaging apps can provide suggested 'smart replies' in the notification, so you can respond in a tap. Plus, any inline reply drafts won't disappear if you navigate away, and you'll be able to see images sent from your friends' right in the notification.
- Slices are interactive shortcuts to your favorite apps that appear right in your search results. This lets you access important app functions without having to open the app..
Updating to Pie on Your Device
Refer to the Advanced Devices - Software Updates page to see if Pie has been released for your device or if an update is coming soon.
The steps to find the current OS version vary by device. Below are general instructions that work for most Android devices. For detailed instructions about a specific device, please check your device's user guide.
To check your current Android OS version:
- Open your device's settings.
- Tap the About Phone or About Device option.
- Tap Android Version to display your version information.
You've successfully found your version information.
Android is a trademark of Google, Inc.