Due to inactivity, your session will end in approximately 2 minutes. Extend your session by clicking OK below.
Due to inactivity, your session has expired. Please sign in again to continue.
Teaching Children How to Call 911
Children who know how to call 911 in an emergency could save a life. Teach your child how to call 911 and tell dispatchers the location of the emergency.
It's best to call 911 from a landline, but if one isn't available, your child should know how to call from your mobile phone. Here are step-by-step instructions for teaching your child how to call 911.
- 1. Make sure your child can say her first and last name and provide her address or location.
- 2. Explain the different emergency situations that might require your child to call 911.
- 3. Show your child the steps for calling 911 on your mobile phone.
- 4. Go over your mobile phone's keypad several times to help your child become familiar with making a call.
- 5. Practice, practice, practice.
- 6. Do not let your children play with old mobile phones.