Before you can begin calling, messaging and connecting online with your Samsung Galaxy S4, you'll need to activate it and add your Google™ account. Learn how to activate your smartphone and transfer your contacts using Verizon Cloud. When you've completed activation, find out how to connect to Facebook®.
Samsung Galaxy S4 Activation
If you are upgrading your existing Verizon device, follow these steps to activate before proceeding with the instructions below.
To avoid potential issues, review the following:
- Ensure the SIM card is inserted if performing first time (out-of-the-box) setup.
- Accounts (e.g., Gmail, email, etc.) should be set up after activating the device (see Related Topics).
- Refer to Set up Verizon Data Service (Pay as you go), if activating with prepaid service.
- If powered off, press and hold the Power button (located on the right edge) until the Samsung logo appears then release.
- Tap the appropriate language then tap Next (located on the lower-right).
- From the Phone activation screen, tap Next.
- From the Restore your contacts screen, tap Next.
If restoring contacts is not desired, de-select (unchecked) Sync contacts.
- From the Email setup screen, tap Skip.
- From the Tap & Go screen, tap Skip.
To configure Tap & Go settings after initial setup, from a Home screen navigate: Apps > Settings > NFC.
- From the Add your account (Google) screen, navigate: Skip > Skip Anyway.
- From the Name screen, enter the first and last names then tap Next.
- From the Google services screen, tap any of the following services to enable or disable then tap Next.
Enabled when a check mark is present.
- Use Google's location service
- Help improve location services
- Help improve your Android experience
- From the Setup Wizard summary screen, tap Done (located in the lower-right).
- From the Samsung account screen, tap Skip then tap No.
KB ID 78197
© 2015 Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC. Samsung, Samsung Galaxy S 4 is a trademark of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.