LG G5 Software Update
Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a software update for your device. This software update has been tested to help optimize device performance, resolve known issues and apply the latest security patches.
Before you download:
- Connect your device to a Wi-Fi network, or make sure it has a strong Verizon Wireless network connection.
- Ensure your battery is fully charged before starting the software update.
System Update Instructions
To help you with the mandatory software update for your device, this page contains the following information:
- Software Update Instructions - User initiated over the air (OTA)
- Software Update Instructions - Server initiated OTA
- Updating while roaming
- Insufficient device memory alert
- Battery life expectations after a major software update
User initiated OTA
To start the download:
- Start on the Home screen by tapping the Menu Key
- Tap Settings
- Tap About Phone
- Tap Software updates
- Tap Check for Update
- Tap Download Now
When download is complete, a screen will appear advising you that the new version of software is ready to be installed.
Tap Install Now.
The device will power down and restart. A screen will appear stating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK.
Server initiated OTA
Once a new software version is available for your device, it'll begin downloading in the background.
When the download is complete, you'll be notified that it is ready to be installed.
Tap Install Now and the device will power down and restart. A screen will appear stating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK.
To check your software version from the home screen:
- Tap Menu
- Tap Settings
- Tap About Phone
Updating while roaming
You won't receive a software update notice if you're roaming. You'll need to be connected to Wi-Fi to update your device while roaming.
To enable Wi-Fi on your device, go to Settings under Wireless & Networks and tap Wi-Fi ON to enable (if not already enabled).
Tap Wi-Fi to view and select a Wi-Fi network.
Once you're connected, an update notification will appear on your device. If the software update fails to install, you'll get an error screen, though this only means the software didn't install properly. Remove and re-insert the battery, and power your device back on. The device will restart with the original software and will prompt you once again to install the software update.
Insufficient Device Memory
Due to changes in the Lollipop OS, you'll need sufficient reserved memory for a software upgrade. If you don't have enough user memory, a Low Memory pop-up screen will be shown until you free up enough memory. Eliminating unused apps, and clearing videos or photos can help free up device memory. If you dismiss the notification and have not cleared space after 24 hours, a pre-update message will pop up again until you free up the memory necessary to perform the software update.
Battery life expectations after a major software update:
- The application memory may have to be optimized. This can take time and cause the device to temporarily use more battery while the optimization is in progress.
- Downloaded apps may not be optimized, as app developers don't immediately update their apps to support new versions of the OS. This may result in higher than normal battery drain, and in some cases device sluggishness, until apps are updated or removed.
- It can take 2 to 3 days for the device's battery life to normalize.
Software Upgrade Assistant Tool
If you don't have a strong connection to Wi-Fi or the Verizon Wireless network, you may not be able to perform a software update over the air. Instead, you can connect your device to a computer with Internet access. Connect your device to your computer using your USB cable, then download the Software Upgrade Assistant tool to your computer, which will check for software updates and initiate the software update process.
System Update 14
Software Version: VS98730a
Android Security Patch Level: 2018-08-01
This software update for your LG G5 includes Oreo OS upgrade and the latest Android security patches.
Home screen - Icon shape option added
- Icon shape making is available from O-OSU. Find the setting at Settings > Display > Home screen > Icon shape.
- LG provides two new options; "Round" and "Cylinder." The default value is "Rounded square."
Home screen - App shortcuts
- Touch and hold on an app icon to see what shortcuts are available. Select a shortcut to launch the task or drag the handler to place a shortcut icon on Home screen.
- All app shortcuts support the "App info" button and some apps support a "Widget" button. Some shortcuts are available under special conditions; e.g. the "Recent call" shortcut becomes available when there's recent call history on the device.
Home screen - New notification badge
- Delete notification cards on the notification panel and the matching notification badge on the app icon will be dismissed as well.
Lock screen - Fingerprint usage is limited after fingerprint scan fails
- If the user fails fingerprint detection 5 times in a row, fingerprint unlock will be blocked in accordance with Google CDD.
- When fingerprint usage is limited, the "Swipe to unlock" message will request a secondary method to unlock the device. Otherwise, just wait for 30 seconds and fingerprint scan will be activated again (Stock Android behavior).
Settings - Settings structure changes
- The Settings menu has been reorganized and simplified based upon usage. Simple descriptions for each menu are provided to the user for easier access to the desired menu. The order of the menu changes based on frequency of use (refer to the appendix for menu structures).
- Removed more, which was at the bottom of the menu on the 1st depth.
- An expanded Searching capability, in which characters and character strings of the title, description, and app name can be searched. Additionally, recently searched words can be displayed and ripple animation applied on selected item.
- Provided Looking for something else? at the end of the page, with which the user may search within the tab menu.
Settings - Lock screen & security
- Lock screen settings and Fingerprints & security settings have been unified under Lock screen & security.
- The "Security status" section has been placed at the top of Lock screen & security settings in accordance with Google CDD.
Settings > Display > Font - User preferred font style can be set on one screen
- Font type, size and bold text can be set at once.
Settings > System > Language & input > Autofill service - Autofill service
- Saved personal information will be automatically filled when needed.
- Added in accordance with Google's CDD.
Appendix - Setting menu list changed (1/2)
Setting menu list changed (2/2)
Next steps and additional links
Please allow additional time for the apps on your device to continue to download after the software update.
- If for any reason this software update doesn't fully download, our Software Upgrade Assistant tool can provide immediate self-serve troubleshooting guidance.
- Operating System FAQs
- Check out the latest Verizon offers and upgrade to a newer LG smartphone. Not sure if you're eligible to upgrade yet? Find out fast in My Verizon.
G5 is a trademark of LG Electronics, Inc. LG, LG Life's Good, and the LG logo are registered trademarks of LG Corp.
Android is a trademark of Google, Inc.